Pages

Friday, June 15, 2012

Poverty is not the cause of Boko Haram – Abdulsalami Abubakar


Poverty is not the cause of Boko Haram – Abdulsalami AbubakarFormer military Head of State, General Abdulsalami Abubakar, has stated that the current security challenges in some parts of the country is not caused by poverty but by misguided youths.
He made this known while answering questions from journalists who were at his country home in Minna, the Niger state capital for prayers to mark his 70th birthday,
The retired general noted that contrary to some insinuations, the security challenge in northern Nigeria is not because of poverty, noting that there are poorer countries than Nigeria that are not facing similar challenges.
He labelled members of the fundamentalist sect, Boko Haram, as 'misguided youths'. He however appealed to the sect to sheathe their sword and give peace a chance.
The General also cautioned politicians across the country to stop talking about the 2015 general elections, because it can heat the polity.
The last military Head of State noted that talking or strategising about the 2015 election now, will only serve as a distraction to the incumbent leadership in the country, who still have three more years before the next elections.
He appealed to politicians to avoid politics of bitterness and join hands with the present administration, noting that "democracy in Nigeria is not perfect yet but a work in progress."
To mark his 70th birthday anniversary, General Abubakar stated that he's got no regrets whatsoever in his existence.
"I have no regrets but I thank God. By the grace of God, God has lifted me to the highest level anybody can attain and I thank God. I am 70 years old, I am married with grandchildren and I am proud of them and my family. I thank all of them but I don't have any regrets", he said.
- Culled From Channelstv

No comments:

Post a Comment