Pages

Thursday, June 14, 2012

EXCLUSIVE: BCK CHATS WITH DISNEY’S “LET IT SHINE” STARS


The stars of Disney’s new movie “Let It Shine” took time out of their jammed-packed schedules of press and premieres to sit down with Blackcelebkids.com[BCK] to talk about the new movie, their future aspirations, and much more.
PHOTOS: See More Pictures From The Let It Shine Premiere
In the movie, Cyrus, played by Tyler James Williams (“Everybody Hates Chris”), is a shy, aspiring musician/songwriter that writes music under the pen name “Truth.” He enters a contest with a song that he writes about an unrequited love for an old friend, Roxanne, played by Coco Jones (Radio Disney “N.B.T.”). Too shy to present the song himself, Cyrus lets his best friend Kris, played by Trevor Jackson (“Eureka”), perform and take credit for the song. Cyrus idly stands by and watches as his best friend receives all of the accolades and begins to grab the heart of his crush.
Let It Shine is an inspiring movie set to the beat of gospel and hip-hop. The modern day Cyrano de Bergerac-inspired story is about three teenagers and how they learn the importance of being themselves.
Check out the exclusive interview with Coco, Tyler, and Trevor below:
BCK: For the group. What are your ages?
Coco: I’m 14
Tyler: I’m 19
Trevor: I’m 15
BCK: You all have been working super hard to promote the movie. How has that been going so far?
Coco: It’s been going really good. We just finished a press tour and we had a bunch of different screenings all over the USA and we’ve gotten some pretty great comments so far.
BCK: I imagine touring is a  little tiring. What do you like most about traveling?
Trevor: Meeting new people and the food man! The food is always on point everywhere. We always try to find the best place. In Chicago, we had the best pizza. In Dallas, they have the best mashed potatoes I’ve ever had in my life! In Atlanta, the macaroni and cheese is delicious. But no it’s great. As long as we’re with each other, we’re just like a family, I’m always having a good time.
BCK: Which have been your favorite places to visit so far?
Trevor: I’d have to say because of the food Dallas, Texas. The mashed potatoes, once again, heavenly.
Coco: I think I like Chicago. The deep-dish pizza that we had was really good, too.
Tyler: I’d have to say Chicago,too. There are few cities that you travel around and wonder “Could I live here?” I think Chicago would definitely be one of those. I definitely get why it’s called the “Second City.”
BCK: This is the first time you all have worked together. How did you like working together?
Coco: It’s great getting to work with these guys. The cast was so great on the movie, too. Even though off screen we had a great time. We had a great time filming the movie together, too.
BCK: Let’s start with a few questions for Tyler. You do some rapping on the soundtrack and in the movie. Do you see yourself becoming a professional rapper?
Tyler: You know, that’s been thrown around a lot as this movie’s been coming out. What’s so great is that I’ve been able to figure some stuff out about myself as an artist. You know, I’m an actor to the very core. Music is something that I’ve always liked to do but I eat, sleep, and breath acting. So it’s not something that I want to kind of take on in the immediate future. If there’s another role that I can combine with [rapping], that would be great. But as far as a solo career, I don’t think you’ll be seeing anything any time soon.
BCK: What’s next for you?
Tyler: Well, I start the new series on NBC with Matthew Perry, “Go On” in July and we’re releasing this fall. Literally, I think we start filming two weeks after our premiere so that’s what’s next and what we’re tackling this year.
BCK: Do you still keep in contact with cast members from “Everybody Hates Chris?”
Tyler: I actually saw Vincent Martella last night. He came out to the premiere and it was really good to see him. You know, it’s hard to keep in contact because everybody’s working.
BCK: Tyler, how different was it acting in a television show vs. a movie?
Tyler: I think it’s the length of time you have to prepare. When you get into a series, you know, every week is a new episode so you have to get efficient at preparing quickly. With the movie, we had so much time, not only for rehearsals and recording music but to really build the characters and the relationships.
BCK: Any college aspirations in your future, Tyler?
Tyler: Yeah, I’m definitely going to college, but not traditionally like many people would think. I’m not going necessarily seeking a degree. I just want to obtain information about subjects that I’m interested in.
BCK: Great! Now to Coco. You have a beautiful voice. A little birdie told me that you have been signed to a label. Is this true?
Coco: Yes, I signed to Hollywood records and I’ve been in the studio almost everyday since.
BCK: Would you like to act in more Disney movies or are you going to focus on your music career for now?
Coco: Definitely! Honestly, if I could pick I’d be singing and acting every day.
BCK: Which do you prefer? Acting or singing?
Coco: Singing is where I started. If it weren’t for singing, I wouldn’t be acting right now. So, I probably would say singing. Singing is closer to me,but I still love acting too!
BCK: I can’t imaging juggling your career and school schedule. Do you homeschool?
Coco: Yes, but this is my first year of homeschool so I’ve been doing real school for a while now, but like you said, I’m just too busy to do it anymore so now I home chool.
BCK: Do you hope to go to college one day? What would you study?
Coco: Yes, I definitely want to go to college! I don’t think I have a choice because my parents definitely want me to go to college. I’ll probably be studying something that has to do with music. Maybe I’d learn an instrument or maybe work in the studio and be a producer, something like that. I don’t know, but it would definitely tie around music.
BCK: When do you think we can expect your debut album?
Coco: I do not have a date yet, but I’m going to work really hard to I can get it out there for everybody.
BCK: Ok. What about you, Trevor? You have great moves in the movie, but you are a singer, right?
Trevor: Yes
BCK: Do you have anything coming up for you in the near future?
Trevor: I have a lot of music that I’m working on right now so hopefully we’ll have some out soon but I’m trying to write a lot more and get a lot more material and pick the best from that and hopefully get it out to you guys.
BCK: How about you, Trevor.  Singing or acting if you had to choose one?
Trevor: If I had to choose I’d pick singing, but only singing because it’s more personal. When you’re acting, you’re acting as someone else and when you sing you sing from who you are and whatever your beliefs are. Your influences come out. They shine, no pun intended, through you.
BCK: A lot of the pictures of you on the red carpet have been with you and Tyrell Ransom Jr. Is that your brother?
Trevor: Yes, he’s my little brother. He’s not my blood brother, but he’s just like me. He’s so talented. He reminds me of myself. He’s really close and I love ‘em. He’s awesome!
BCK: I think you said that you’ve been homeschooling since 3rd grade? Is that right?
Trevor: Yes, that’s the case since 3rd grade because I did the Broadway show “The Lion King” for 3 years.
BCK: What are some of your favorite subjects in school?
Trevor: My favorite subject would be lunch if I had to choose, but if we’re being serious, I’d have to say science.
BCK: One more question for all of you guys. What’s your favorite song on the soundtrack?
Trevor: “Me and You,” the song Coco sings. She did such a great job of showing her emotion through her voice and it’s such a pivotal. moment in the story and it compliments the story so well.
Coco: My favorite song is the finale song, “Let It Shine.” It’s such as great high energy song. The wardrobe is great and everybody is super happy. It really makes you want to smile. I hope it really convinces people to truly let their light shine.
Tyler: I’d have to say “Guardian Angel.” It really explains what’s happening with our hero character in the movie. So I think it’s perfect for the soundtrack.
Congratulations Coco, Trevor and Tyler on the movie!
Tune in the Disney on Friday, June 15th @ 8pm ET/PT on the Disney Channel for the premiere of “Let It Shine” and to find out who gets the girl!

No comments:

Post a Comment